Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Kubo Radio...yum, yum, yum

Tonight I went with some friends to Kubo Radio for dinner. It's an "Asian Pub" and oh boy was it good and surprisingly, really veggie friendly. I ofcourse, forgot my camera at home, but can hopefully whet your appetites with some descriptions.

I started with the edamame - a classic - it was as to be expected... great.. just salty, soya goodness. Some of the girls had the Goyza dumplings, fried and stuffed with wild mushrooms - I almost wished I had gone that route. For my main, the Tofu You Wok'd Noodles (fried tofu/snow pea shoots/red peppers/crushed cashews/garlic/soy sauce/lime/Thai stick) it was listed as having egg and oyster sauce, but they happily removed both. They offerred up a sweet chili paste as a condiment and with a little bit of that the noodles really did wok! ha ha ha

I came to find these waiting for me:


What a nice surprise from Dave... I've never been one for big fancy bouquets or long red roses, so these happy coloured flowers were great. As a thank you, I thought that I would make him a choclatey treat. I didn't really feel like measuring, stirring and baking so I found a recipe for a no-bake choclate treat... they turned out great.

Sadly, these aren't vegan but I think they could be easily "veganized".At first I didn't think that there was enough chocolate to cover them and that they wouldn't be that good, but after they hardened Sheemdle said that they were very good. Yay! This is a close up of one of them, they're just melted chocolate chips and water poured over crumbled up graham crackers.

I don't think they're vegan, because I don't think that graham crackers are (are they?)

8 comments:

KariDyan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KariDyan said...

go to http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/
and see if any graham crackers are on there. sometimes they are vegan!

looks so yummers, and the flowers are pretty!

Anonymous said...

hiya ewa,
great to see you as it has been a while and i know it will be a short while again. i agree with you about the restuarant and i would happily return! great blog and photos!
have a good day,
shannon -- hen gal

Nikk said...

Those treats look great. As far as the grahams go, I think some are vegan, some aren't.

laura k said...

Hello there Urban Granola! I found your blog via Urban Vegan, and I think it's so cool! I'm a tree-huggin' city lover too... See you around!

urban vegan said...

Pretty flowers!

I used to eat those cookies growing up.

The Urban Granola said...

Shannon - It was great to see you too and good luck in St. Louis!

Nikki - It seems that's the consensus, that you can find vegan graham crackers (I'll have to keep my eyes peeled). By the way, the treats have gotten better the next day - maybe they're getting harder?

Laura - I knew there had to be more of us out there! Nice to meet ya, and thanks for liking my blog.

Urban Vegan - I didn't really have these treats when I was growing up, so I'm making up for lost time now.

The Urban Granola said...

Vegan Cyclist -- oops, missed you in my last post (thanks for the link - that's a good thing to check out!)