Sunday, September 17, 2006

Cooking like a fiend!

What a busy weekend, I feel like I've done nothing but cook... though the high point was definitely going for my first run in 2 months (I was travelling a lot this summer and letting a hip injury heel) but I finally went on Saturday morning. Nothing too taxing, but good enough to hopefully keep me at it.

But first a photo, to keep you interested (I find the blogs that keep me hooked, are full of photos.. to appease my short attention span). This is a picture of the moon over Lake Ontario, taken from our balcony by Shmeedle:



But, back to the cooking. Last night a friend was having a dinner thing, and he, Shmeedle and I cooked all of the food. I was the chef, and they were both sous me..teeheehee. It turned out great! I tried a new risotto recipe, wild mushroom and asparagus. It was fantastic, I even managed to make two (not one, but two!) non-mushroom eaters believe that there is indeed FUN, in funghus. Next was both manicotti and canneloni - the manicotti was neat, because instead of using pasta I made crepes and stuffed those with filling. I should have taken photos, but I'm new to this blog thing and forgot.


Today was a bit of blah day, weather wise it was beautiful but I was just feeling a bit out of sorts. So, I hopped on my bike and went to kensington to pick up some produce and nummies. With that mission acoomplished, Shmeedle suggested we go for a walk which was nice, but sort of uneventful, except... I picked up some phyllo pastry which after some consultation with Megan the Vegan, turned into this:


They were delish! I've always been a bit intimidated by phyllo but it was really quite easy, though time consuming. I filled them with this, can you guess what it is... I coiuldn't believe it after I peeled it... who knew they were so pretty:

It is an .... apple. We peeled it and it clearly was blog worthy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewa - looks like they turned out great. Can't wait to try them at my desk tomorrow with my morning tea. That apple is gorgeous. I'm insanely jealous of your camera. I wants me a fancy camera too:-(

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

that's an apple? wow, it's georgous & i bet delicious nestled inside the phyllo!

Nikk said...

What a pretty apple! :)

Harmonia said...

Love your blog! Can I link you? Hopped over from Megan The Vegan's Blog!
I'm at:
http://harmonia.bloggoing.com

Trevor Deane-Freeman said...

Hey! Am I getting pegged as a mere assistant??? WHAT, WHA? Whose idea was it to try out the Capenata? Yeah, I know what you are going to say, "that was just an appetizer"...but an EPIC in the making!!
There wer not one! not two! but three different kinds of eggplants sort from. If I had of gotten the wrong one-DISASTER! Even though you picked it out I am confident had you not been there I would have had a clear 1 in 3 chance of getting the right one, and really a 33.333% chance of picking the right one is pretty good!! Okay now I am all worked up-clearly you and I have a lot more friend therapy sessions ahead of us.